New Horizons School requests applications for a full-time junior high teaching position. This is a probationary full-time position, commencing August 28, 2020. The teacher shall possess, or be eligible for, an Alberta teaching certificate.
The successful candidate will teach the following:
- English Language Arts (Grade 7 & 8)
- Option Course: Investigating Social Issues in Contemporary and Historical Literature or other similar courses.
- Physical Education (Grade 8 – Instructing alongside a second teacher)
- Other option courses as agreed upon with the principal
Preference will be given to candidates who demonstrate the following qualities:
- Experience and/or training in English Language Arts and experience teaching at the junior high or high school level.
- Experience working with gifted students and/or training in gifted education would be an asset.
- A demonstrated ability to differentiate instruction, use formative assessments, and be competent working with students with varying levels of social, emotional, and intellectual needs.
- An ability or readiness to learn and use conceptual and “visible learning” instructional approaches
- Excellent communication skills.
- An ability to work collaboratively with grade level partners, other colleagues, administrators, and parents.
- A willingness to contribute to school culture through extra-curricular activities and committee work.
- A demonstrated ability to effectively use remote learning technology for instruction and assessment.
Located in Sherwood Park, Alberta, New Horizons School is a growing public charter school, enrolling approximately 410 students in grades K-9 and focusing on the needs of intellectually-gifted learners. Junior high classes range in size from 20 to 25 students.
Please visit https://www.newhorizons.ca for more information about our school and https://education.alberta.ca/charter-schools/about-alberta-charter-schools/ to learn more about Alberta’s public charter schools.
Interested candidates are requested to submit a current resumé with cover letter and three work-related references with current contact information to Ted Zarowny (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Application Deadline: June 5, 2020
Interviews commence on June 9 using Google Meet. Only those candidates short-listed for an interview will be contacted.
Thank you to all those taking the time to submit an application.