The October School Council meeting will be held on Wednesday, October 14 at 7:00 p.m.
Please visit the School Council page for the agenda. The meeting link is on the agenda.
Please take the time to review these COVID-19 related links. They are housed on our COVID-19 page.
We are nearing completion of setting up our new website and eNews to keep you updated with school events. We appreciate your patience as we make the transition.
One of the features of our new website will be parent testimonials that will automatically scroll along the home page. You are invited to share your positive thought about our school in a one or two sentence testimonial.
- your testimonial will remain anonymous (we will simply have “NHS Parent” as the identified author)
- we will need complete a form so that there is a record of the sender
- you can always have your testimonial removed at any time by emailing the principal.
If you have a positive thought you would like to share, we’d love to hear from you! Please submit your testimonial by responding on this form.
Here are some reminders for this week:
- This is Read-In Week. A list of activities is on the poster below.
- Early Dismissal: Please remember that Wednesday, October 7, is early dismissal day. That means students are dismissed at 2:15 p.m. Please ensure transportation arrangements for your child reflects the dismissal time.
- Non-Instructional Day: Friday, October 9, is a non-instructional day for students. Classes are not in session.
Just a reminder that tomorrow is Orange Shirt Day.
New Horizons Charter School Society Membership
Last week parents were emailed several documents that present important information regarding the New Horizons Charter School Society, the Board of Directors, and Board elections. All parents are encouraged to read the documents and to consider their contents.
Becoming a Society Member allows eligibility to vote in the election of members of the Board of Directors, to vote at SGMs, and to serve as a member of the Board. Please complete and sign the Declaration of Understanding that was sent to you and return it to the school by 4:00 pm September 15, 2020.
If you did not receive the email with the information, please contact the school secretary.
Please remember that all students must be screened at home before coming to school. The Self Screening Questionnaire does not need to be returned to school.
The Self Screening Questionnaire can be found on this page.
- This is just a reminder that drop-off begins at 8:00 a.m. Only parents of Kindergarten students (until further notice) and parents of Grade One students (last day is September 8) are allowed to enter the school.
- Parents entering the school must wear a mask and must have self-screened.
- Students who are not taking the bus can be dropped off in the school parking lot.
- Please drop off your child by 8:30 a.m. at the latest.
- Please review our Drop-Off Traffic and Parking Management Plan
After School Pick-Up (Non-Bus Students)
- Please carefully read the after school pick-up procedures. Please review them with your child as well.
- Please expect delays as we will have all students attending on Tuesday.
- If you arrive at the 5/6 or the Junior High Zone after 3:30, please go to the school instead.
Chromebooks for Grade 3-9 Remote Learners
Individual Hand Sanitizers Available at School
- Individual hand sanitizers are available for sale at the school office at cost ($2.50)
Hello NHS Community:
As you can imagine, we have been focussed on making sure our safety procedures and health protocols are in place for the first day for the first staggered entry tomorrow.
In preparation for your child’s first day, please make sure to complete the Alberta Health Services Screening Questionnaire. This is a mandatory screen for all students, staff and parents if they are entering the school. You can find the screen on page 13 of our Re-Entry Plan. Please follow this link: https://www.newhorizons.ca/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/NHS-Re-entry-Plan-Version-1-17-08-2020.pdf
We understand there are still questions related to remote learning. We finished our discussions today and will be sharing those details with parents tomorrow.
Once again, thank you for your continued patience.
If you are dropping of your child and/or picking up your child at school, please ensure your child’s driver has read and understood the plan that can be found by clicking the link below. We urge you to please follow the traffic flow and parking areas identified on the plan.
Please note the following:
- this plan is subject to change as we monitor and evaluate it
- specific information relating to Kindergarten drop-off and pick-up will be emailed to parents soon!
Welcome back, everyone!
We are currently sending out emails from the school to our parent community with updates and other information.
If your child is registered in our school, but you are not receiving these updates, please email the school secretary.