Each month, the entire school gets together to practice creative problem solving and to promote positive interactions and collaboration through our Inspire and Create (I & C) events. A video of our March I & C event is now available for viewing on our Best Practices and Innovative Approaches page. Enjoy!
Monday, May 15
- Litterless Picnic Lunch
Students are invited to bring a litterless lunch (reusable containers/bags only) and have a picnic in the gym from 12:16-12:36 pm. We will set up mats and play some nature tunes while students eat.
Tuesday, May 15
- Techless Tuesday
Students and staff will pick a half hour/hour in the day when they use no electronic devices (no iPads, Chromebooks, laptops or even lights ,if possible!). Students can bring flashlights to use for that time if they wish!
Wednesday, May 16
- Waste Wednesday
We will participate in the county pitch-in from 2-3 pm on this day. We will get the students into their house teams and they can work within their houses to collect litter around the school.
Thursday, May 17
- Professional Development Day (school not in session for students)
Friday, May 18
- School Closure
Monday, May 22
- Victoria Day: School Closure
Tuesday, May 23
- Classes Resume
To all of our moms, we wish you a well-deserved fun and relaxing day!
Monday, May 8
- Kindergarten Grad Pictures
- Grade 9 Grad Pictures
- Whole School Panoramic Photo
Tuesday, May 9
- Grade 9 Provincial Achievement Test (Language Arts – Writing) – Morning
Thursday, May 11
- Grade 6 Provincial Achievement Test (Language Arts – Writing) – Morning
- Grade 1S Independent Studies Fair – 1:oo p.m.
Friday, May 12
- PJ Day – Come dressed in your PJs and earn house points.
Yes … it is that time of year when we begin thinking about supplies for next year.
And, while thinking about supplies, parents may be thinking about identifying their child’s belongings and supplies. One of the ongoing FANHS fundraisers gives parents an easy way to label their children’s supplies and belongings. For more on Mabel’s Labels, go to this page: http://www.newhorizons.ca/parent-news/fanhs/fanhs-fundraiser-events/
Strathcona County Community Guide
See what programs and services Strathcona County will be offering this spring in their Guide by following this link: http://www.strathcona.ca/departments/family-and-community-services/programs-and-services/program-guide/
HOT LUNCH: Help Needed!
Students and parents at NHS are fortunate to have hot lunches available to then during them two days a week. Our numbers are growing, and extra help is needed for this wonderful service to continue.
If you can help in hot lunch distribution during lunch time on Tuesdays and Thursdays, please contact NHS.HotLunch@gmail.com
WELCOME TO MAY!
Tuesday, May 2
- Last Elementary Choir Practice After School
Wednesday, May 3
- Early Dismissal (Classes Dismissed at 2:14 p.m.)
Thursday, May 4
- Severe Weather Drill
- School Council Meeting at 7:00 p.m.
Friday, May 5
- Grade 5/6 Badminton Practice After School
On Wednesday, April 26, over 40 K-9 students from NHS participated in our annual Talent Show. Student acts included singing, dancing, demonstrations such as taekwondo and gymnastics, playing guitar and piano, and even a magic act!
We were excited to begin the show with our elementary choir which came together in mid-January and practiced weekly after school since then.
NHS has been organizing talent shows for many years, and consistently the best part is watching the pride beam from the faces on the students as they perform and as the audience claps in appreciation.
Thank you to all the student performers, to the student and parent helpers, and to all those who attended the show to support our students.
In March our Grade 3-6 students had their Independent Studies Fair in the gym. A brief video has been created to capture the event. To read more and to view the video, click here.
Monday, April 24
- Phase II of Renovation ending – Moving day for the following classrooms:
- Ms. Stephens (Kindergarten) – move to temporary class adjacent to Learning Commons
- Ms. Wygiera (Grade 4) – move back to original classroom
- Mrs. Watson (Grade 5) – move back to original classroom
- Mrs. Dinel (Grade 6) – move to new classroom
- Mr. Wilde – move to temporary class in the old portable wing
- Mr. Craig – move to temporary class in the old portable wing
- Movers will be moving large items in the evening.
Tuesday, April 25
- Continue moving any leftovers from previous day
- Grade 5/6 Toastmasters at Lunch Recess
- Elementary Choir Practice After School
Wednesday, April 26
- Theme Day: Western Day. Wear western themed clothing to earn house points!
- Talent Show Dress Rehearsal at 1:30 p.m.
- Talent Show at 7:00 p.m.
Thursday, April 27
- Last Day of Classes of the Week for Students
Friday, April 28
- School Based PD: Students Not In Attendance
- Zones of Regulation
- Recognizing Social Skills Deficits Training
Have You Completed Your Survey?
Last week parents were emailed links to our school survey. Your input from the survey is important in helping us determine goals and outcomes for our 2017-2018 Education Plan.
To date, 51 families out of 200 have responded.
We hope you will be able to take a few minutes to complete the survey if you haven’t already.